Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Eat Your Heart Out Chipotle - Mexican Salad Done Right

Up until a few months ago I had never understood what the big deal with Chipotle was. I'd tried a burrito once or twice a couple of years ago and found it gut busting - and not in my favorite "oh my lord, this is so delicious I can't stop" way, but more like "ugh... now I feel like I'm having a food baby and I'm not sure I even enjoyed the foreplay" way. I finally understood what it was all about when I ordered a steak salad. Damn. That thing didn't stand a chance. That vinaigrette dressing... the softball-sized dollop of guac... really, it was heavenly. I ate every last bite and could barely pull myself off the ledge of licking the cardboard bowl.

Then, in my fuzzy post-meal glory, I remembered all the hoopla awhile back about Chipotle posing as heath food when really, it was packed with calories. I did a little nutritional info surfing. Holy delicious guacamole... that delightful vinaigrette was 260 cals for a meager 2 oz. (?!) I love you Chipotle, but we are through. I can do better on my own. And I can prove it. Oh and did I mention, I'll look better for it?

My take on the glorious Chipotle salad:

Salad
Ingredients:
  • Romaine (I cut the hearts out and chop the leafy greens in to small bite-sized pieces)
  • 1 avocado, chopped in to bite-sized pieces
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 lb ground, lean turkey
  • Reduced fat shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend or colby-jack and 1/4 cup (or less) for a single serving)
  • Reduced fat sour cream (I use a heaping tablespoon for a single serving)
How-to:
  • Chop the veggies
  • Follow directions on taco packet for cooking ground turkey
  • While turkey simmers with seasoning add drained black beans to meat mixture
  • Top romaine with turkey/black bean mixture and dres with cheese, avocado, sour cream and pico de gallo (see below)

Shelley's Pico de Gallo
Ingredients:
  • 3-4 tomatoes (I prefer romas or vine tomatoes)
  • 1 chopped white onion (I always look for pre-chopped onion since my eyes are incredibly sensitive)
  • Cilantro (I love a little cilantro - it goes a long way in my opinion, but knock yourself out and use as much as you like)
  • Fresh-squeezed lime juice (I usually only use 1/2 of the lime as I don't want the citrus to over-power the other flavors)
  • 1 jalapeno diced (sometimes my market doesn't have jalapenos, so I'll sub some other hot pepper)
  • A few shakes of garlic salt
How-to:
  • Dice tomatoes, onion and jalapeno (as an eyeball measure, I make sure it looks like equal parts tomato and onion) and combine in bowl
  • Finely chop cilantro and add to mixture
  • Squeeze lime juice over top and sprinkle with garlic salt to taste
  • Mix together and top salad

No comments:

Post a Comment